Home > Blog > I Made a Flip Book

I Made a Flip Book

Wednesday November 21st, 2012, 1 year, 5 months and 2 days ago

Hi! How are you all? Christmas is getting a little close for comfort, isn’t it? No matter how prepared I think I am, it always manages to creep up on me. My shop’s been open almost three weeks, and so far I’ve shipped packages to so many different destinations – much more geographically diverse than what I recall selling on Etsy. I couldn’t have wished for a better shop launch. Thank you to everyone who has supported me so far!

I just finished this little flip book. I would love to design an entire book, from cover to cover. Maybe one day… Meanwhile, this was really fun to make. I thought it would be a more interesting way to show my work than just a regular ol’ pdf. What do you think?

Next on my to do list is to send out a newsletter to my lovely subscribers. If you’re not on my mailing list, you can sign up here. I’ll be announcing a special offer, so you might like to join if you were thinking of doing some holiday shopping in the Magic Jelly Emporium!

25 Responses to I Made a Flip Book

1. Irit says: flickr.com/irit

If only this was a real catalog. Absolutely beautiful.

(I have to say – when I read “flip book”, I immediately thought of those books where you flip the edges of the pages to see an animation. I used to make those out of my school journals.)

Reply to Irit Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
    • Karena (Magic Jelly) says: magicjelly.com.au

Thanks Irit! I wish it was real too! :)

I’d forgotten about those little flip animations, I used to make those at school too – little running stick men!

Reply to Karena (Magic Jelly) Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  2. stevette says:

Your book looks soooo great! Love all the little details. What a fantastic showcase, I particularly like the black and white repeat Iris’s! Imagine that as wallpaper…

Reply to stevette Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
    • Karena (Magic Jelly) says: magicjelly.com.au

Thanks Stevie! I’m happy with the way the Iris pattern worked out. It reminds me of a 70s wallpaper – it should be printed in black on silver foil (with potted parlour palm & peacock chair)!

Reply to Karena (Magic Jelly) Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  3. Mark says:

I love it! It’s beautiful! I can’t say which is my favourite. I love the page with the pastel bunnies and the factory…and…

Reply to Mark Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  4. Cadry says: cadryskitchen.com

Like Irit, when I read “flip book,” I thought animation too! You did such a great job on it. Very cool!!!

Reply to Cadry Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
    • Karena (Magic Jelly) says: magicjelly.com.au

Thanks Cadry! You’ve all got me thinking, is it even correct to call this a flip book? I’m pretty sure it also means an e-magazine/book that you flip through… Maybe I should have made an animation! :P

Reply to Karena (Magic Jelly) Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  5. This was really neat. I love it and of course it reminds me of books that I grew up with the style of it just like all of your creations.

Reply to Debra Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
    • Karena (Magic Jelly) says: magicjelly.com.au

Thank you Debra! I had books that I loved when I was little too that had lovely patterned endpapers – I really wanted to try & recreate something like that!

Reply to Karena (Magic Jelly) Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  6. Liz Hutnick says:

Very cool! I thought you meant flip book as in animation, too. :)
    Looks like fun, how did you make it? (I’m a print book designer and so have not a clue.)

Reply to Liz Hutnick Nov 21st 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  7. I love it! Such a wonderful little portfolio. I would totally hire you, Karena! ;) xoxo

Reply to Jess Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
    • Karena (Magic Jelly) says: magicjelly.com.au

Thanks Jess! Let’s hope it’s more effective than standing on the corner with a “Will draw for donuts” sign! :)

Reply to Karena (Magic Jelly) Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  8. Vicki Potter says: vickiorion.etsy.com

Fabulously done and so much fun to flip through. Your work always makes me nostalgic, in such a good way.

Reply to Vicki Potter Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  9. Julia D. says:

Your Flip book was great! Just love the art work you create. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to Julia D. Nov 22nd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  10. Susan Mac says: smacvision.com

Jaw dropped and head shaking. I think you are so wonderfully talented and inspiring. I wish you great, GREAT success, it is so deserved!

Reply to Susan Mac Nov 23rd 2012, 1 yr and 5 mths ago
  11. Sandra says:

This is just cool! So inspirational. My first thought was, I need to have this book :-)
    You’re just amazing!

Reply to Sandra Nov 28th 2012, 1 yr and 4 mths ago
  12. Stevie says:

Wow! That is really nice, it’s layed out beautifully. You did a great job. I love your work, each piece makes me smile and brightens my day, you are one talented lady :) Keep it up!

Reply to Stevie Nov 28th 2012, 1 yr and 4 mths ago
  13. Kathy W says:

How cool is that? I love those little marching bunnies with the alphabet flags! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Reply to Kathy W Nov 28th 2012, 1 yr and 4 mths ago
  14. It’s so so beautiful. If it was a real book-I would buy IT. Thanx fot sharing. I found you’re work on Pinterest. Hope t join you there. Have a nice Friday. Greetings with heart&soul from Zilly

Reply to Zilly-Sil Jan 25th 2013, 1 yr and 2 mths ago
  15. Alfred says:

The only word came out of my mouth after looking into this flip book was awesome, I mean you have taken care of all minute things like small pics on each pic. They look so relevant and so good. I mean the pages have the right pics at right place and they are so cute. Specially the cover pic which have those cute cute rabbits with flag in there hand showing each alphabets of MAGIC JELLY. The thought is good and at the end a great work I must say.

Reply to Alfred Mar 24th 2014, 3 wks and 6 days ago

Please enter your details...Please fill in required fields

Please write a comment

join the mailing list subscribe to the blog by email